The Quality Unit monitors and ensures that the Laboratory Services routinely provides its customers reliable service and results, at a level of accuracy consistent with the customers' needs within acceptable time scales. In this context, "quality" means: fitness for purpose, meeting customers’ expectations and requirements. The unit also assists the Laboratory in preparation for international accreditation assessments and follows-up to ensure that the laboratory continues to comply with the international standard at all times.
Other functions include:
Development of other labs for ISO 17025 accreditation
- The Quality Unit also has the expertise to assist other laboratories in developing their quality control systems in preparation for accreditation assessments. This includes conducting of assessments, training in the aspects of quality assurance and quality control. A more detail scope of works maybe prepared upon consultation with the QC Unit staff.
Calibration of Laboratory Equipment
The QC Unit also coordinates the calibration of the following equipment; quotations may be obtained from the QC Unit:
- Alcohol\Brix hydrometers
- DMA meters
- Muffle furnaces
- pH meters, EC meters
- Chlorine meters
- Turbidity meter
- AAS & Iron meters
- UV Vis Spectrophotomers
- Vernier calipers
Public Relations and Marketing
- The Unit coordinates the Marketing and Public relations exercises for the Institute. This includes the news releases, compilation of IAS newsletters, coordination of IAS and USP Open Days.
Managing quality improvement projects
- Electronic Samples Register development and implementation
- Digitization of all IAS technical and environmental reports and making them available online
- Back-up of IAS important programs and documents
- Revamping of IAS website
- IAS Equipment Inventory
Compilation and monitoring of IAS Strategic Plans
- The Unit works with other Units at IAS in the compilation of the IAS Strategic Plan and also monitors and reports on the implementation of IAS SPs. The Units also follows-up to ensure that all IAS External Audits findings are addressed and implemented.
Staff Training & HR
- Orientation for all new IAS members
- Identifying training needs of the Institute
- Coordination of staff reviews and appraisal.
Name: Mereoni Gonelevu
Title: Quality Control Manager
Unit: Quality Control Unit
Contact: +679 32 32972